The unit of currency in Myanmar is Kyat ("chat"), divided into 100 Pyas.
Please be aware that Myanmar is a cash based economy. Traveller's cheques are not accepted in Myanmar. Visa and MasterCard's are accepted in few hotels/restaurants only. There are few ATMS in the main cities of the country.
The import and export notes of Myanmar Kyats is strictly prohibited.
You can change currencies in few hotels, but the best rate will be in currency exchange offices in the main cities of the country.
Tips are not as widely expected in Myanmar as elsewhere in Asia –largely due to the relative youth of its hospitality industry. However, small sums as tokens of appreciation are generally received with gratitude, especially in parts of the country more accustomed to foreign visitors. Tipping on board the Sanctuary Ananda is discretionary; however we are pleased to give you the following guide to tipping in Myanmar. All figures are in kyats.
Tipping on board
• 10,000 kyats per person, per day Drivers
• 2,000 kyats per person, per day Crew
• 100,000 kyats per cabin, per cruise
• 5,000 kyats for two travellers in a vehicle
• 4,000 for four or more (For half-day tours, reduce the amount by 50% per person).
Room service/restaurant waiting staff
• 2,000 kyats per person per meal
Hotel porters/hotel housekeeping staff
• 1,000 kyats per bag